Vanguard total Knee Replacement (Cruciate retaining, Zimmer-Biomet)
Learn the Vanguard total Knee Replacement (Cruciate retaining, Zimmer-Biomet) surgical technique with step by step instructions on OrthOracle. Our e-learning platform contains high resolution images and a certified CME of the Vanguard total Knee Replacement (Cruciate retaining, Zimmer-Biomet) surgical procedure.
The approach to management of knee osteoarthritis includes the assessment of the severity of pain and the effects on the individual’s function, quality of life, occupation, mood, relationships, and leisure activities. Conservative treatment involves formulating an individualised management plan in partnership with the patient. The core treatment to be offered includes:
Education, advice, and access to information, strengthening exercise,weight loss, Assistive devices (for example, walking sticks) for people who have specific problems with activities of daily living.
The decision to perform total knee arthroplasty surgery must include the failure of conservative treatments. Take account of comorbidities that compound the risks involved in surgery. Take into account the person’s expectations, needs, and anxieties.
The type from joint replacement used should take into account published outcome data ( NJR data), the surgeons experience but should also leave space for innovation.
The Vanguard knee system is produced by Zimmer Biomet and provides a comprehensive total knee replacement system with flexibility to change from cruciate retaining (CR) to posterior stabilized (PS) within a single system.
Author : Mr Faisal Hussain FRCS (Tr & Orth)
Institution; The Royal Orthopaedic Hospital , Birmingham ,UK.
- Each operation and the questions associated become a named course in the CPD section
- The operative technique itself is read as a lesson as is any company implant information if this is being assessed.
- You’ll need to tick the box to confirm this has been done and can do this immediately if you have already read the op tech.
- The vast majority of operations have a 10-15 MCQ quiz covering all aspects of the decision making and the technique
- There are four possible answers of which one is correct (or on occasion more correct) than the others.
- There are additional quiz modules on the surgical steps, the implants and problem cases being added continually
- The course is completed once all the lessons are read and quizzes submitted and passed.
- On successful completion of each quiz you will receive validated CPD points that add to the certificate in your CPD folder.
- Your dashboard also will contain a record of the time you have spent logged onto and using the site.
- The timer suspends after 5 minutes though if there is no activity.
- When you restart you will resume at the same point in the module.
- Once you have completed each quiz you will need to feedback on the module first then click “submit” and your paper will be marked.
The pass mark is 75%.
- If you fall below this level you will be directed back to re-read the slides where you’ve tripped up.
- Once these have been read you can re-do just the questions you failed on.
- Once you have passed the quiz you can return at a future stage & resit .
- Operation Quiz – 1 CPD point
- Surgical steps Quiz – 1/4 CPD point
- Implants Quiz – 1/4 CPD point
- Problem case Quiz – 1/2 CPD point
One CPD point equates to one hour of academic activity
Welcome to the Professional Development question section. The objective of taking these tests is to demonstrate that you have understood all aspects of the assessment and management of patients requiring surgical intevention. On successful completion you will receive a certificate accredited by both the Royal College of Surgeons of both England and Edinburgh as well as the British Orthopaedic Association.
Our content is designed for both Surgeons in independent practice and Surgeons in training.